Thursday, August 19, 2010

How do i deal with a crush who has a long-distance girlfriend?

i am in college, and there is a guy in my dorm who is a very good friend of mine, even though we just met this last year. He texts me and visits my room frequently, and my friends have jokingly commented on how we are like bffs (best friends forever) because we're always together. one of his best friends drunkenly told us that we should date each other and be together forever; that was obviously an awkward situation. he remembers a lot of insignificant things that i say, and he even buys and brings me food when i'm doing group study sessions elsewhere, even though i didn't ask him to. i started to like him, even though i knew he was off-limits.





the major problem of course, is that he has had the same girlfriend for the past 4 years, minus break-ups in between. she is gorgeous (from pictures) and seems really sweet, and i don't want to be the girl that comes between. but i really like him, and because he lives in my dorm, i see him all the time. what should i do? how do i make myself stop liking him? i don't want to avoid him, but if i keep seeing him, these feelings won't go away and i'll just resent him. part of me wants to try and steal him away so that he'll break up with her and be with me, but then i would be a terrible person. Plus, if he can stray from her, doesn't that make him bad boyfriend material and therefore not a good person to date?





Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!How do i deal with a crush who has a long-distance girlfriend?
As the girlfriend in a long-distance relationship (that I feel is going well), I really like the approach you took to this.





I really trust my boyfriend, and I really think he loves me. So if he's talking to girls every once in awhile, I'm fine with it because I trust him. However if some of the girls he was talking to developed a crush and started hitting on him hard, or trying their best to break us up, I really would not be happy about that, and it would always make me wonder what we could have had if that hadn't have happened.





Also, I'm going to be home in under 2 months now (it was originally 4 months, so I'm halfway through!) Do you know when his girlfriend will be around more permanently? If there's a way for them to be together all the time in a relatively short time-span, and he's been with her for four years, he's probably not looking into other relationships.





I'd say, for the girlfriend's sake at least, if they seem to have a nice relationship, it's probably best to do what you say and try not to pursue a relationship, as hard as I'm sure that is. Maybe you could start talking to other guys to try to spark that interest somewhere else.





And also, like you said, if you can break him up with his girlfriend, then if you ever go away you'll be worried if he is going to break up with you, even if its like four years down the road.





I'm sorry, it's a tough situation. Good Luck!How do i deal with a crush who has a long-distance girlfriend?
This is tough, but remember first that he has a girlfriend and there for is not available.





You can try by talking with him. Tell him your feelings. Tell him you understand that he is dating someone else, but you needed to express how you feel. Understand that this doesn't mean that he'll break up with her because he loves you. he may tell you he'd prefer just to stay friends.At least you got it off your chest and if he changes his mind or things change between him and his girlfriend, he'll know you're there for him. If he decides to break it up with his gf, that doesn't mean he's a bad bf. Long distance relationships are very hard to handle. Not everyone can do them. He may want someone closer that he can spend time with. But that will be his decision to make.





It is up to you if you decide to talk to him about it, but it is his choice if he decides to act upon it. Don't go for the beni-friends unless you want to ge there. But also be sure not to become the ';other woman'; either.





Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment